Learning to change your AC filter can seem like a daunting task. Many homeowners have NO clue how to do it. This is what separates the casual homeowner from the savvy DIY enthusiast. Understanding how to change your AC filter effectively is the first level of self-sufficiency in home maintenance.
Misunderstanding the Role of AC Filters
Ever wondered why your energy bill is soaring? Well, it could be due to a common misconception about AC filters. Your standard HVAC filter isn’t there just for air purification. In fact, its primary role is shielding your AC unit from harmful airborne particles.
Consequences of Neglecting to Change Your AC Filter
A neglected filter strains the system and reduces efficiency – an avoidable expense. By neglecting an AC filter change, you’re making your life and finances more difficult. The effects? Well, they are far-reaching. From poor cooling performance to increased wear on mechanical parts. Not forgetting that all-important hike in power consumption. So next time when looking at high utility bills, remember this: A simple change can save up to 15% off those costs.
Now let’s delve deeper into how dust accumulation affects blower fans and ductwork.
Effects on Blower Fans and Ductwork
When an AC filter is neglected, it invites a world of trouble. Dust and dirt begin to accumulate in the system, obstructing airflow. This doesn’t just strain your HVAC unit but also leads to increased power usage.
The built-up dust can clog up fan motors and valves over time. It’s like trying to breathe through a cloth; not easy, right? This extra effort wears out these components faster than usual, leading them toward premature failure.
Moisture Accumulation and Mold Contamination Risk
Have you ever wondered why your allergies tend to worsen when you’re indoors? While air conditioning provides relief from the sweltering heat, it can also be a breeding ground for allergens. Dust, pollen, mold spores, and pet dander can accumulate within the AC unit and circulate throughout your indoor space when the system is in use.
As the cool air flows through the vents, these allergens are distributed into the air you breathe, triggering allergic reactions such as sneezing, coughing, and itchy eyes. It is essential to regularly clean and maintain your air conditioning unit, change filters frequently, and consider using air purifiers to minimize the presence of allergens and ensure a healthier indoor environment.
Wear and Tear Due to Neglecting to Change Your AC Filter
Putting in a bit of work for your air conditioning unit can pay off big. Neglecting to regularly change your AC filter, for instance, can lead to severe consequences over time. The moving parts of the system slow down due to dust accumulation and draw more power than usual – this is what we call inefficient energy usage.
Your air conditioner’s lifespan significantly shortens when subjected to continuous strain caused by clogged filters. This increased wear and tear not only disrupts the comfort in your home but also leads you toward costly repairs or even replacement much sooner than expected.
Steps To Change Your AC Filter Safely
1. Locate the air filter: The air filter is typically located near the return air duct or the air handler unit. It might be in a slot on the wall, ceiling, or within the HVAC system itself.
2. Turn off the AC unit: To ensure your safety and prevent any potential damage, turn off the air conditioning system before proceeding.
3. Determine the correct filter size: Check the dimensions of your current filter or consult the owner’s manual to determine the correct size and type of filter needed for your AC unit. Filters come in various sizes and ratings, so make sure to get the appropriate one.
4. Remove the old filter: Carefully slide out the old filter from its slot. Take note of how the filter was positioned, making a mental note of the airflow direction, which is usually indicated by arrows on the filter frame.
5. Clean the filter slot (optional): If you notice any dirt or debris accumulated around the filter slot, it’s a good idea to clean it with a soft brush or vacuum cleaner attachment.
6. Insert the new filter: Take the new filter and align it properly with the arrows or indicators on the frame, ensuring that it matches the airflow direction you noted earlier. Slide the filter into the slot until it fits snugly.
7. Secure the filter: If your AC unit has a filter cover or door, make sure to close and latch it securely. This helps to maintain proper airflow and prevent the filter from being dislodged.
8. Turn on the AC unit: Once the new filter is in place and the filter cover is secured, you can turn on the air conditioning system. Check that the system is running smoothly and that the new filter is correctly installed.
9. Regular maintenance: It’s recommended to change your AC filter every one to three months, depending on factors such as filter type, indoor air quality, and usage. Regularly inspect and replace the filter as needed to maintain optimal performance and air quality.
By following these steps and keeping up with regular filter maintenance, you can ensure that your air conditioning system operates efficiently and helps improve the indoor air quality in your home.
Importance Of Professional Duct Cleaning After Prolonged Neglect
If you’ve been neglecting your AC filters, chances are there’s a significant amount of dust and debris accumulated inside the ductwork. The accumulation of dust and debris in the ductwork due to a lack of filter maintenance can negatively impact both your HVAC system’s performance as well as the quality of air inside.
Why Consider Having Your Ducts Inspected?
A professional inspection can reveal any underlying issues caused by prolonged filter negligence. According to the EPA, cleaning your ductwork can prevent unnecessary breakdowns, extend equipment life, and improve energy efficiency.
Benefits Of Professional Duct Cleaning Services
Cleaning services remove heavy dust build-up, enhancing overall HVAC performance while improving indoor air quality. Besides avoiding potential health hazards like allergies or respiratory problems due to poor air quality, it also helps maintain smooth functioning for a longer period reducing repair costs significantly over time.
Join the Comfort Club for a Happier HVAC System
Invest in the long-term health of your heating and air conditioning systems with the Comfort Club Membership.
- Two annual maintenance service visits: Keep your HVAC equipment in tip-top shape with regular tune-ups from our expert technicians.
- 15% off AC and heater repairs: Save money on repairs and keep your home comfortable year-round.
- 15% off indoor air quality products: Breath easy with discounted high-quality IAQ products.
- 15% off duct cleanings: Maintain optimal airflow and reduce dust with discounted cleaning services.
Changing your AC filter is more than a chore; it’s an essential part of home maintenance. The role of AC filters in protecting your unit from harmful particles cannot be underestimated. Neglecting to change these can strain the system, leading to less energy efficiency and increased power usage.
Not only that, but moisture accumulation could also lead to mold infestations in ducts which are detrimental to health conditions like allergies. Beyond the health risks, ignoring regular maintenance leads to faster wear out and escalating repair costs.
You’ve learned how important it is to regularly change or clean your AC filter for efficient cooling and better air quality. If you’re ready for professional help after prolonged neglect has led to heavy dust build-up inside ductwork, Anthem HVAC Repair Services have got you covered!
Anthem offers top-notch HVAC repair services, including changing or cleaning AC filters, as well as comprehensive duct inspection/cleaning. Let us help maintain the smooth functioning of your unit while enhancing indoor air quality substantially. Don’t wait till unnecessary breakdown/repair costs pile up! Reach out today – It’ll improve not just your comfort but also the longevity of your system… Guaranteed!